I’ve been asked a few times recently how to go about meal planning when you get a veg box, so I thought I’d give you a few pointers.
- When your box arrives, first make a note of any veg from your last box which still needs using.
- Then take some time to sort through your new box and make a note of what’s in there. It’s a good idea to have a list of vegetables in the order in which they’ll need using. You’re invariably going to be given some with a short shelf life and some that will last a little longer.
- Start your meal plan from the day after your box arrives so you’ve a little time to think, find some meal ideas, plan and gather any extra ingredients you need. Your meal plan will finish on the day of your next delivery.
- Your list of vegetables to use up from the last box and vegetables that need to be used first from your new box will be the starting point for your meal ideas for the first few days. The vegetables that will last longer can be used later in the meal plan.
- Think about whether you can batch cook or batch prepare some of your short shelf-life vegetables to give them a longer lease of life and to make your meal prep on other days quicker.
- And, keep a list of recipe ideas, especially for the more uncommon seasonal vegetables you might meet only a few times a year, such as kohlrabi or salsify, but also for when you’re dealing with a glut and need plenty of inspiration to prevent you getting bored of eating the same veg for weeks on end!