These vegetable and halloumi kebabs are flavoured with the harissa, pomegranate molasses and lemon and served with a simple tabbouleh. I also like a creamy, colourful slaw on the side. Why not raid your veg drawer to use up any bits and pieces of vegetables before they go to waste?
Swap out the vegetables to fit the seasons – some squash, cauliflower and red onion as autumn comes round, for example, or maybe some sweet potato, part cooked beetroot and celeriac.
Tip: If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water for 10 minutes before making up your kebabs to help stop them burning.
|Ingredients||Equipment to have ready|
|For the kebabs:||Chopping board|
|1 courgette, sliced into rings||Sharp knife|
|1 aubergine, cubed||Baking tray|
|1 red pepper, cut into large cubes||Kebab skewers/sticks|
|1 pack halloumi, cut into large cubes||Measuring spoons or a teaspoon and tablespoon|
|1 tsp harissa paste||Mixing bowl|
|1 tbsp pomegranate molasses||Medium saucepan|
|Squeeze of lemon juice||Sieve|
|Salt and pepper|
|For the tabbouleh:|
|100g bulgar wheat|
|1 heaped tsp sumac (optional)|
|1 preserved lemon, rind only finely chopped (optional)|
|Lemon juice, to taste|
|Large handful each of parsley, coriander and mint, finely chopped|
|Salt and pepper|
- Put the vegetables and halloumi in a mixing bowl and add the harissa, pomegranate, lemon, salt and pepper. Toss to coat all the vegetables. You can cover and keep in the fridge until you’re ready to cook or cook immediately.
- Cook the bulgar wheat in boiling water for around 10 minutes, until soft. Drain and rinse under cold water then return to the pan.
- Skewer the vegetables and halloumi then either cook on a griddle, BBQ or place on a baking tray and cook in a pre-heated oven at 210C. The kebabs are done when the vegetables are soft and you have a nice golden brown colour.
- Add the sumac and preserved lemon (if using), a squeeze of lemon, the herbs and some salt and pepper to the bulgar wheat. Stir, taste and adjust the seasoning and salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve the kebabs with the tabbouleh and your choice of sides.