We call this paella at home but as it isn’t authentic, I feel like a fraud calling it that in public and wouldn’t want to face a backlash akin to that launched on Jamie Oliver. So, this is my Spanish-style rice in which I include chicken and chorizo as well as prawns and/or squid when feeling more extravagant.
If you buy the rice in the supermarket, there is often an own brand of paella rice. Buying from an independent shop, you need to look for Calasparra or Bomba rice.
|Ingredients||Equipment to have ready|
|2 tbsp olive oil||Chopping board|
|1 onion, finely chopped||Sharp knife|
|2 fat cloves garlic, finely chopped||Teaspoon measure|
|2/3 ring cured chorizo picante, cut into half circles||Measuring jug|
|2 chicken or turkey breasts, sliced||Large shallow casserole pan that can go on the hob and in the oven|
|2 tsp sweet smoked paprika|
|1 tsp hot smoked paprika|
|2 large roasted red peppers from a jar, sliced|
|350ml paella rice|
|1050ml chicken stock|
|200g green beans, cut into thirds|
|2 large handfuls frozen peas|
|Salt and pepper|
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C Fan.
- Heat a shallow casserole pan on a medium heat and add the oil.
- Sweat the onion until soft and translucent before adding the garlic and cooking out for a few minutes whilst stirring.
- Turn up the heat and add the chorizo. Cook for a few minutes to release the oils before adding the chicken. If you’re including squid, it can also go in at this point.
- Stir through the paprika, a pinch of salt and a good grind of pepper then add the peppers and rice. Stir to combine the rice before adding the stock.
- Bring to the boil and then drop in the green beans before putting the pan in the oven for 25 minutes. If you’re including prawns, they can go in 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Check that the rice is cooked before tipping the peas on top. Turn off the oven and put the pan back in for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze over the juice of the half lemon and serve.
- I like to use a fork to mix the ingredients into the rice once served since the meat and veg will be on the top.