Closer to a stew than soup, this is a substantial, protein filled, super tasty bowl of comfort.
|Equipment to have ready
|1 tbsp olive oil
|1/2 onion, chopped
|1 clove garlic, finely chopped
|Medium saucepan with lid
|1/2 tsp ground cumin
|1/2 tsp ground coriander
|Teaspoon measure or teaspoon
|1/2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
|1/2 tsp chipotle paste, sauce or chipotle en adobo
|1 roasted red pepper from a jar, cut into small pieces
|400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
|Around 750ml chicken stock
|50g basmati rice, rinsed
|Salt and pepper
|1/2 avocado, cut into small chunks
|1/4 red onion, finely diced
|1 tomato, finely diced
|Tortillas, cut into wedges and toasted in a hot, dry pan (or tortilla chips)
- Put the pan on a low heat and add the oil.
- Sweat the onions until soft but not browned then add the garlic, stirring for a few minutes so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the spices and a good grinding of black pepper. Stir constantly whilst cooking for a minute.
- Add the peppers and beans and stir to coat in the onion and spice mixture.
- Pour in 600ml of the stock and bring to the boil. Keep the rest in case you want more liquid once the rice is cooked.
- Add the rice, stir, then put the lid on. Simmer gently for around 10 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Add more stock if it’s needed and taste to check the seasoning, adding salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the soup with a squeeze of lime and the avocado, onion, tomato and coriander sprinkled over.