This simple salad is great for a packed lunch or picnic as well as for a quick and easy dinner.
|Ingredients||Equipment to have ready|
|For the dressing:||Chopping board|
|1 tsp Dijon mustard||Sharp knife|
|Rapeseed or olive oil||Small jar with lid for mixing the dressing|
|1 clove garlic, crushed||Fine grater|
|Juice of 1/2 lemon juice||A large mixing bowl|
|Small frying pan|
|For the salad:|
|2 portions of rice (use whichever rice you prefer)|
|Large handful flaked almonds|
|2 spring onions, finely chopped|
|1/4 cucumber, cut into little cubes|
|1 large carrot, grated|
|4-6 radishes, halved and thinly sliced|
|1/2 fennel, finely sliced (optional)|
|Large handful sugarsnap peas or mangetout, thinly sliced|
|198g can sweetcorn, drained|
|2 fillets of smoked mackerel, skinned (I like to use peppered mackerel but choose your favourite)|
|1 tbsp each of chopped parsley and mint plus any fennel fronds if there are some|
|Salt and pepper|
- First cook the rice according to packet instructions.
- Next, make the dressing by combining the Dijon, a glug of oil, the garlic, a drop of cider vinegar, the lemon juice and some salt and pepper in the jar and shaking well. Taste and adjust the vinegar and oil to suit you. I like my dressing sharp from the lemon and vinegar, but you can tone it down with more oil.
- When the rice is cooked, stir through with a fork and pour over half the dressing. Stir with the fork to coat the rice. Set aside.
- Lightly toast the almonds and set aside.
- Prep the veggies and put them all in a large mixing bowl. Pour over the rest of the dressing and mix through.
- Add the rice, mackerel and herbs then stir through to combine.
- Serve sprinkled with the almonds.