This is a classic dish served as part of a mezze. Use pitta or flatbread to scoop up big dollops of it. It also goes very well with lamb cutlets and my Moroccan style lamb kebabs.
Serves 2 – 3
1 large aubergine
1 clove garlic, crushed
juice of a quarter lemon
1 – 2 tsp tahini
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the grill on the highest heat or the oven to 240C.
- Pierce the skin of the aubergine with a knife or fork. You really don’t want exploding aubergine on your hands!
- Place on a baking tray and grill or bake until the skin is blackened and the flesh is soft. Under the grill you’ll need to keep turning the aubergine and it can take around 15 minutes. In the oven it can take around 45 minutes and only needs turning once.
- When the skin is blackened and the flesh soft, run your knife down the length of the aubergine and scoop the flesh out into a bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the aubergine to form a puree then stir in the rest of the ingredients (adding just 1 tsp tahini and half the lemon juice to start) and check for seasoning. Add more lemon juice, tahini, salt and pepper to taste.
- Best served at room temperature.