This potato salad reminds me of a trip to Vienna some years ago now when we visited a restaurant which claimed to serve the largest and best Wiener Schnitzel in the city. A claim which isn’t unsubstantiated. The schnitzel are simply served with a potato salad and a green salad. This is my take on the delicious Figlmuller potato salad.
Serve yours with an escalope of veal, pork, chicken or even homemade fish fingers. Also great with cold meats.
10-12 new potatoes
1/4 very finely chopped red onion
2 finely chopped gherkins
1 tbsp chopped capers (I prefer the ones in vinegar – rinse them in cold water first)
lemon juice (you’ll need anything from the juice of quarter to half the lemon depending on taste and how juicy your lemon is)
1 tbsp cider vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (I like to use tarragon or basil depending on what I have)
- Boil the potatoes until cooked then drain.
- Whilst the potatoes are boiling, make a dressing in a large bowl – first put in the Dijon mustard, a little salt and plenty of pepper, add some olive oil and mix to combine the mustard with the oil.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice, a drop of cold water and the cider vinegar. Stir well to combine.
- Taste to see if you want more oil, more lemon or more vinegar and if it has enough salt and pepper.
- Add the onion, gherkins and capers and mix in.
- Pour in the potatoes as soon as they have been drained and mix well. You need to do this whilst the potatoes are still warm so that they soak up the flavours.
- Just before you want to serve mix in the herbs.