I don’t like sprouts…or so I thought! Over the last few years I have developed ways to make sprouts not just edible, but delicious. It just takes a little creativity!
Here’s one way in which to avoid dishing up bitter, overcooked soggy sprouts which went down a treat at the Element 78 Christmas dinner.
250g Brussel sprouts
1 tbsp sunflower oil
For the dressing
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp orange juice
3 tbsp olive oil
1 – 2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper
- Trim the stems, remove the outer dirty leaves then thinly slice the sprouts.
- Make up the dressing by mixing all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or cup. Start with 1 tsp sugar in the dressing and taste. If the dressing is too sharp add a little more sugar.
- Heat a wok and add the sunflower oil before tipping in the sprouts.
- Stir fry for a few minutes until the sprouts soften and brown a little.
- Tip in half of the dressing and stir.
- Taste the sprouts to see if you are happy with the flavour. If you would like more of a punch, you can add a little more of the dressing.
- Serve and see how your sprout haters turn into sprout lovers.
If you have dressing left, it will keep in the fridge for about a week. You can use it to dress salad, marinate chicken before grilling or for cooking more addictive sprouts!