This is my take on a classic Scottish dessert, cranachan. It’s very quick and easy to pull together with no cooking involved but tastes like you’ve spent an hour slaving over it in the kitchen. Serve in individual glasses.
Cranachan is usually topped toasted oatmeal, often mixed with brown sugar. In my cheat version I substitute the oatmeal for crushed Hobnobs.
I haven’t tried this recipe with chocolate Hobnobs but imagine it would work well – chocolate, cream and raspberries are an excellent combination, so why not? If you give it a go, let me know how it turns out.
1/2 bag of frozen raspberries
1 – 2 tbsp icing sugar
150ml double cream
1 – tbsp Scotch (use a reasonably good one as the flavour comes through in the cream)
- Put the raspberries in a bowl and leave to defrost.
- Add a tablespoon of icing sugar and stir in. This takes the edge off the tartness. Taste before adding any more.
- In a bowl, whisk the cream to a soft whip then add a tablespoon of whiskey and stir in. Taste to see if you need to add more. Make it as boozy as you like.
- Crush the Hobnobs. You want it quite fine but it doesn’t matter if you have some pieces bigger than others. The rough texture works well.
- Divide the raspberries between the glasses, spoon some cream 0ver each and sprinkle on the crushed Hobnobs.
- Serve and listen for the ‘mmmmms’.