A delicious and simple veggie chilli recipe. I like to serve this with a rice, some thin slices of raw red onion and grated Cheddar.
|Equipment to have ready
|2 tbsp olive oil
|1 red onion, finely chopped
|600g mushrooms – 200g blitzed, 200g small ones quartered, 200g sliced
|Saute/casserole pan with lid
|2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
|Teaspoon measure or teaspoon
|1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
|1/2 tsp ground cumin
|1 tsp ground coriander
|2 tsp paprika
|1/2 tsp chipotle chilli powder (or 1tsp chipotle sauce or paste)
|400g tin of chopped tomatoes
|1/2 tin vegetable stock
|100g dried red lentils
|1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
|Salt and pepper
- Heat a saute/casserole pan over a low heat. Add the oil and gently sweat the onions until soft and translucent.
- Turn up the heat and add the mushrooms. Season with black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Turn down the heat and add the garlic and spices then cook for a minute or two whilst stirring so they don’t burn.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stock. Stir well before adding the lentils and beans. Mix well and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat to as low as possible and simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes. If you can leave it longer (1 – 1.5 hours, all the better).
- If there’s still a lot of liquid, remove the lid and reduce the sauce until thick.
- Check the seasoning and adjust as needed.