A delicious and simple veggie chilli recipe. I like to serve this with a rice, some thin slices of raw red onion and grated Cheddar.
|Ingredients||Equipment to have ready|
|2 tbsp olive oil||Chopping board|
|1 red onion, finely chopped||Sharp knife|
|600g mushrooms – 200g blitzed, 200g small ones quartered, 200g sliced||Saute/casserole pan with lid|
|2 cloves garlic, finely chopped||Teaspoon measure or teaspoon|
|1/4 tsp ground cinnamon|
|1/2 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp ground coriander|
|2 tsp paprika|
|1/2 tsp chipotle chilli powder (or 1tsp chipotle sauce or paste)|
|400g tin of chopped tomatoes|
|1/2 tin vegetable stock|
|100g dried red lentils|
|1 can black beans, drained and rinsed|
|Salt and pepper|
- Heat a saute/casserole pan over a low heat. Add the oil and gently sweat the onions until soft and translucent.
- Turn up the heat and add the mushrooms. Season with black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Turn down the heat and add the garlic and spices then cook for a minute or two whilst stirring so they don’t burn.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stock. Stir well before adding the lentils and beans. Mix well and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat to as low as possible and simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes. If you can leave it longer (1 – 1.5 hours, all the better).
- If there’s still a lot of liquid, remove the lid and reduce the sauce until thick.
- Check the seasoning and adjust as needed.