A gnocchi bake to warm your cockles.
In case you didn’t know, you can freeze gnocchi and cook it from frozen so it’s a good one to have in your supplies. You don’t need to boil it first, in fact I don’t enjoy it boiled, you can simply pan fry it as I do in this recipe or bake it in the oven.
|Equipment to have ready
|3 tbsp olive oil
|1 pack fresh gnocchi
|24 green beans, stalks trimmed and cut into thirds
|1 pack tenderstem broccoli, trimmed and stalks cut into rounds
|4 rashers back bacon, cut into bite size pieces
|200g mushrooms, sliced
|Half pack gorgonzola picante, cubed
|Measuring spoons or a teaspoon and tablespoon
|50ml milk or double cream (or bit of both)
|Medium saucepan with lid or microwavable bowl
|Handful of breadcrumbs
|Handful of mixed chopped nuts
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Heat a frying pan until hot then add 2 tbsp oil and tip in the gnocchi. Cook until the gnocchi is golden.
- Meanwhile, steam the green beans and broccoli either in a saucepan or in the microwave until just tender. Drain and transfer to your baking dish.
- When the gnocchi is cooked, transfer to your baking dish. Put the pan back on the heat and fry the bacon.
- Transfer the bacon to your baking dish, wipe out the pan to remove any fat and salt residue then put the pan back on the heat. Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil and fry the mushrooms until the liquid has been released and evaporated.
- Add the cheese and milk or cream to the mushrooms and stir to melt the cheese and create a sauce. Season with a little pepper.
- Tip the mushroom and cheese sauce into the baking dish and mix everything together.
- Top with the breadcrumbs and nuts then put under the grill for 5-10 minutes until golden and bubbling.