I always have carrots in the fridge, I always have red lentils in the larder and I always have a craving for curry. The answer? Curried carrot, red lentil and coconut soup with a perky lime pickle yoghurt.
|Equipment to have ready
|1 tbsp olive oil
|1/2 onion, chopped
|1/2 thumb sized lump ginger, finely chopped or grated
|Medium saucepan with lid
|1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
|2 tsp curry powder
|Stick blender or blender
|2 carrots, diced
|125g red lentils
|Fine grater (optional)
|3 tbsp coconut cream (from a block), grated or thinly shaved with a knife
|4 heaped tsp natural yoghurt
|2 tsp lime pickle, finely chopped
|Salt and pepper
- Put the pan on a medium heat and add the oil
- Sweat the onions, garlic and ginger until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir through the curry powder and a good grinding of black pepper before adding the carrots and lentils.
- Pour in the water, stir and bring to the boil.
- Simmer on a low heat with the lid on until the carrots are soft and the lentils are cooked and breaking down.
- Stir through the coconut cream so that it melts in and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Blitz until smooth and add a little more water if it is too thick.
- Taste to check the seasoning, it will likely need some salt.
- Mix together the yoghurt and lime pickle in a small bowl.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of lime pickle which can be stirred through as you eat.