I always have carrots in the fridge, I always have red lentils in the larder and I always have a craving for curry. The answer? Curried carrot, red lentil and coconut soup with a perky lime pickle yoghurt.
|Ingredients||Equipment to have ready|
|1 tbsp olive oil||Chopping board|
|1/2 onion, chopped||Sharp knife|
|1/2 thumb sized lump ginger, finely chopped or grated||Medium saucepan with lid|
|1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated||Measuring jug|
|2 tsp curry powder||Stick blender or blender|
|2 carrots, diced||Small bowl|
|125g red lentils||Fine grater (optional)|
|3 tbsp coconut cream (from a block), grated or thinly shaved with a knife|
|4 heaped tsp natural yoghurt|
|2 tsp lime pickle, finely chopped|
|Salt and pepper|
- Put the pan on a medium heat and add the oil
- Sweat the onions, garlic and ginger until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir through the curry powder and a good grinding of black pepper before adding the carrots and lentils.
- Pour in the water, stir and bring to the boil.
- Simmer on a low heat with the lid on until the carrots are soft and the lentils are cooked and breaking down.
- Stir through the coconut cream so that it melts in and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Blitz until smooth and add a little more water if it is too thick.
- Taste to check the seasoning, it will likely need some salt.
- Mix together the yoghurt and lime pickle in a small bowl.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of lime pickle which can be stirred through as you eat.