There’s no scrimping on flavour with these summery courgette and halloumi burgers which are accompanied by a harissa and pomegranate molasses mayo and a punchy preserved lemon salsa verde.
|Ingredients||Equipment to have ready|
|For the burgers:||Griddle or frying pan|
|1 large courgette, cut in half then sliced into three lengthways||Chopping board|
|4 slices halloumi||Sharp knife|
|Olive oil||Measuring spoons or teaspoons and tablespoons|
|Salt and pepper||Small bowls|
|1 large cooked beetroot, sliced into rounds|
|Few thin slices of red onion|
|2 ciabatta style rolls|
|For the mayo:|
|2 tbsp mayonnaise|
|1/2 – 1 tsp harissa paste (I like Le Phare du Cap Bon)|
|1/2 tbsp pomegranate molasses|
|For the salsa verde:|
|1 preserved lemon, quartered and inside flesh discarded|
|Large handful of mint leaves|
|Large handful of parsley|
- First make the mayo by combining the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and add more harissa if you like it spicy or more pomegranate molasses if you like it fruity and zingy.
- To make the salsa verde, chop the preserved lemon rind into small pieces then chop the mint and finally the parsley. Now bring them all together on your board and continue to chop everything together until very finely chopped.
- Transfer to a small bowl, season with pepper and add a little olive oil, just enough to bring it together as a thick sauce or paste.
- Warm the rolls in the oven if you wish.
- Season the courgette slices with salt and pepper and drizzle over a little olive oil.
- Heat the frying pan or griddle on a high heat until searing hot then cook the courgette until nicely browned on both sides. Set aside.
- In the same pan and without any oil, cook the halloumi until golden on both sides.
- To assemble the burger, cut the rolls in half, spread the mayo on the bottom, lay on the courgette, the halloumi and the beetroot then top with the red onion and salsa verde.