Black beans are my favourite pulse and they make for a delicious, protein-packed and cheap burger. Top these refried beans inspired patties with smoked cheddar, avocado, red onion and some chilli ketchup.
|Ingredients||Equipment to have ready|
|1 tin of black beans in water||Sharp knife|
|Zest of 1 lime||Large mixing bowl|
|1 tsp ground coriander||Frying pan|
|1 tsp ground cumin||Teaspoon measure or a teaspoon|
|1 tsp sweet smoked paprika||Tablespoon measure or a tablespoon|
|2 tsp chipotle paste||Fine grater|
|Salt and pepper||Baking tray|
|1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped (optional)||Potato masher|
|2 tbsp porridge oats|
|Olive oil for cooking|
|2 bread rolls|
|Lime mayo (made with 1 heaped dessert spoon mayo, a small crushed garlic clove and juice of ½-1 lime)|
|3 slices smoked cheddar|
|1 avocado, sliced|
|1 tomato, sliced|
|Few slices of red onion|
|Little gem lettuce|
|Sweet potato and potato wedges or fries|
- Put the beans, lime zest, spices, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl and mash until the beans are mostly smooth with a few larger bits of bean mixed through.
- Stir through the oats and coriander, if using.
- Form into two patties and chill for at least 15 minutes, but for as long as possible.
- Before you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180C.
- Put the frying pan on a high heat and add a little olive oil. When hot lay in the burgers.
- Cook on both sides until you achieve a satisfying brown colour. Transfer to the oven in your pan, if it fits and the handle is oven-safe, or on a baking tray and cook for around 8 minutes until the burgers are hot in the middle.
- Lay the cheese on top of the burgers and return to the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Heat the bread rolls for a few minutes in the oven.
- Assemble your burgers with your chosen toppings and serve with wedges or fries.