I love how this dish looks complex and as if you’ve slaved over it and yet it is quite simple. The rice and chicken are relatively plain to suit the less adventurous eaters at your table and yet, jazz it up with all the little extras, and the dish becomes exciting, full of different flavours and textures.
|Equipment to have ready
|For the chicken:
|8 chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks work best)
|2 tsp smoked paprika
|Roasting tin or baking tray
|Salt and pepper
|Ovenproof shallow casserole with lid
|For the rice:
|1 tbsp olive oil
|1 onion, finely chopped
|2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
|2 tbsp chipotle or BBQ sauce
|450ml basmati rice (measure in a jug)
|400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
|3 roasted peppers from a jar, sliced
|900ml chicken stock
|Salt and pepper
|For the toppings:
|2 avocados, sliced
|3 tomatoes, sliced into strips
|1/4 cucumber, cut into cubes
|1/4 small red cabbage, thinly shredded
|2-3 red chillies, finely sliced
|Large handful of mint and/or coriander leaves, finely chopped
|3 limes, quartered
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Put the chicken pieces on a baking tray, skin side up. Season with salt, pepper and the smoked paprika. Bake in the oven for around 45 minutes until the skin is crispy and the chicken is cooked through.
- Put casserole on a low heat, add the oil then sweat the onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic, cook whilst stirring for a couple of minutes until the fumes have dissipated.
- Add the chipotle or BBQ sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Tip in the rice and coat with the onion mixture before stirring through the peppers and beans.
- Pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, put the lid on and transfer to the oven for approx. 20 – 30 minutes until the rice is cooked and no stock is left.
- Remove the chicken and the rice from the oven. Transfer the chicken to the top of the rice and serve.
- Put all the toppings on a plate to be sprinkled over the top of the rice as people please.