I’ve chosen something a little different this month for my core skills video. I wanted to show you just how simple, and quick, it is to make a peppery and creamy carbonara (without adding any cream). Ready in the time it takes to cook your pasta. All you need is some quick stirring action!
Spaghetti (approx. 75g per person)
Pancetta or smoked streaky bacon (approx. 50g per person)
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
Parmesan or Grana Padano (approx. 20g per person)
Egg yolk (one per person)
Black pepper (as much as you can handle)
Simply dressed green salad to serve
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water.
- Fry off the pancetta/bacon and when it is almost cooked add the garlic and cook out until the raw garlic smell disappears but you don’t want it to burn and taste bitter.
- Whilst the pasta and pancetta/bacon are cooking, grate the cheese onto a plate and lay the egg yolks on top. Grind the black pepper onto the cheese and eggs.
- When cooked, drain the pasta, reserving a cup full of the cooking water.
- Tip the pasta back into the pan along with a few tablespoons of the pasta water. Working quickly, tip in the pancetta/bacon and garlic followed by the cheese and eggs. Stir immediately and quickly, adding more of the pasta water as needed to create the desired creaminess to your sauce.
- Serve and eat immediately with your green salad.